July 15, 2013

Down with the Doors

Our house has an abundance of interior doors.  My first thought was to remove almost all of them to keep the figure-eight style flow of the house completely open, but on second thought, I decided to remove only two and to keep the others in place to see if they prove useful for noise blocking and heat savings down the road.
(Dining Room)

The doors I did take off included one that closed off one side of the dining room (I just couldn't see a need for closing that door), and one for a small cubby closet in the side entrance, which if opened at the same time creates a barricade.  We plan to turn the closet into a fun, open "mudroom cubby"...more on that later.
(Side Door with Cubby)
Taking the doors off the bolts with a screwdriver was a sinch even though they were heavy oak.  Since the doors were in great condition, I listed them on Craigslist and made a small profit of $40.  Not too shabby for doors I didn't want in the first place.
While I was at it, I removed the rickety bi-fold doors from two closests upstairs.  One kept colliding with the door to get in the room, and the other was just loud.
Once you pop out the top roller, it's pretty easy to screw off the rest of the track and rip these bad boys down.  Don't let my giant arm muscles intimidate you, ha.  Of course the track line in the closet needs to be repainted.  

(3rd bedroom small closet)
(Guest room with slightly bigger closet)

My plan is to cover the small closet with a curtain and just paint the inside of the big one for guests to use as a closet/cubby...or a squatting cave.

2 comments:

rumin said...

Nice! I can't wait to see the rest of your color choices.

rumin said...

oops, left previous comment on the wrong entry. Am also excited about curtains and doors and generally how on top of things you two always are