October 23, 2013

Two Showers are Better than One

We finally have two functioning showers.
Actually, we started with two functioning showers but I messed that up by assuming I could quickly and easily replace a rusty shower arm in our master bath.  I watched a couple YouTube videos and set to work--only the old shower arm would not come off.  I tried WD-40; I had Tommie try; a handyman tried it and finally came to the conclusion that it was rusted in place.  He would have to cut out and repair a chunk of the wall to replace the entire unit.  He also found out it was leaking behind the wall--so in a way, it was a good thing I set out on this impossible task.
With the wall patched (now smoothed and new shower arm in place), I could install our new filtrated shower head.  There are so many options when it comes to shower heads I really didn't know where to start.  I recently read an article about health issues caused by breathing in too much chlorine and other toxins from our water which prompted me to look up filtrated shower heads.  I found this highly-rated one by Culligan on Amazon for only $25.  Seemed worth a shot for that price.  (Filters should be replaced every six months and they run about $11).
I also needed to replace the shower knob which was growing all kinds of black mold inside it (so gross!).  I hate these plastic pieces of crap, but until we do a big overhaul of the bathroom, it's best/cheapest to just replace the knob for $10.
(Nasty old knob.)
 (Easy new knob replacement costs about $10 at Lowes. Make sure the diamond or other shape matches up with your existing one.)
Feels good to get this project crossed off the list.  The next step in this room is paint (we're thinking mint and gray like this.)

No comments: